Date: June 11, 2015 | Category: News
Care Connection for Aging Services will observe June 15 as World Elder Abuse Awareness Day by distributing lapel pins with slogan “We stand for dignity. We will not stand for Elder Abuse” in each of its 22 centers in 13 counties. In addition, our staff and volunteer home-delivered meal drivers will pass out the elder abuse hotline number to each of its recipients on June 15.
The effort is meant to call attention to the hundreds of thousands of older, frail and vulnerable people who are abused and/or neglected.
One in 10 older people fall victim to some sort of elder abuse, and many of the perpetrators are members of their own families.
Elders in the United States lose an estimated $2.6 billion annually to elder financial abuse and exploitation, according to the Administration on Aging.
Many victims cannot help themselves and depend on others to meet their most basic needs. Abusers of older adults may be women, men, family members, friends, or trusted others.
Elder Abuse is against the law.
Generally, abuse takes several forms:
• Physical Abuse such as slapping, bruising, or restraining by physical or chemical means.
• Sexual Abuse—non-consensual sexual contact of any kind.
• Neglect—the failure by those responsible to provide food, shelter, health care, or protection for a vulnerable elder.
• Exploitation—the illegal taking, misuse, or concealment of funds, property, or assets of a senior for someone else’s benefit.
• Emotional Abuse—inflicting mental pain, anguish, or distress on an elder person by humiliating, intimidating, or threatening.
• Abandonment—desertion of a vulnerable elder by anyone who has assumed the responsibility for care or custody of that person.
World Elder Abuse Awareness Day is sponsored by the International Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse and the World Health Organization at the United Nations.
The Missouri Elder Abuse hotline number is 1-800-392-0210.
Care Connection for Aging Services provides resources and services that empower people to create healthy aging experiences. The agency serves 13 west central Missouri counties, including Bates, Benton, Carroll, Chariton, Cedar, Henry, Hickory, Johnson, Lafayette, Pettis, Saline, St. Clair and Vernon. To find out more, call us at 1-800-748-7826.
Read more about Elder Abuse Prevention from Secretary of State Jason Kander here:
Here are some more documents about elder abuse that may help you: